Bottom Of The Belgian

Butts

There are some beers that are supposed to be crystal clear with low yeast flavors, and there are others that should be be loaded with some strong funky yeast esthers. The problem is though that many great beers are bottled in 22oz bombers and the slightly larger 750ml bottles. While writing my review of Long strange tripel I was reminded of this problem. One of my complaints was not enough yeast flavor. By the time I hit the bottom of the bottle where the yeast was in suspension though the beer was fairly opaque and funky. The problem with this is that the first drink lacked a strong yeast flavor, and the last to much.

Therefor I hereby submit that contrary to the American fad of 22oz bombers, good beer should be bottled in 12oz bottles. This allows the drinker to swirl the yeast back into suspension before drinking if they choose, and also allows the drinker to taste multiple bottles in a single session. Another side effect of good beer being bottled in 12oz would be that a beer like a imperial stout or Belgian saison could easily be consumed during a lunch break without a worry. Sadly though more and more breweries are releasing their unique beers in only 750ml and 22oz. Can anyone explain why breweries do this??? It makes absolutley no sense to me other then a marketing standpoint.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Bottom Of The Belgian”

1. kchophead says:

My friend, I think Boulevard is one step ahead of you. They are going to start putting their smokestack into 330 ml bottles and selling them in 4 packs. “Little Smokies”. Bam!

Also I forgot to mention that the regular line up for the 750 ml only cost me $7.50 a bottle. I wonder how much they are out there?

I agree that smaller bottle / smaller serving size is better for high alcohol beers. When I am the driver I generally order 12oz serving so I can have multiple beers without approaching the legal alcohol limit for driving.

But, I prefer a large bottle over a six pack of an unknown beer. I have had to work my way through too many six packs of unremarkable beer.

btw1: both ‘Whole Food Market’ and ‘World of Beer’ in Sarasota, Fla, 38 miles north of our condo have respectable selections of beer.

btw2: in developing a list of domestic breweries whose beers I find in SW Fla, I have encountered a surprising number of breweries using contract brewers.

3. Beercentric says:

22 oz problem?

Half fill two pint glasses from 22 0z bottle. Swirl the bottle to combine lees. Equally distribute into the two glasses…. Done. Share with a friend or drink both!

🙂

Back to the high alcohol content beers.

1. In surfing the web I read a blurb about a NE [Maine or Vermont or where ever] pub that limits it customers to two pints per hour for high ABV beers.

2. I chatted with Thane this morning, he mentioned that he had sold one very high ABV beers in 12 oz glasses only.

5. Beercentric says:

In regard to high alcohol beers……

One 12 oz. beer is equal to one alcoholic beverage serving. Of course, that’s based on a beer that’s about 4% alcohol. So, a 12 oz that’s 8-9% is equal to 2 beers. Two 12 oz 8-9% beers is equal to about 4 beers! If these two beers were consumed within a hour, more than likely you would have a BA way over the limit.

I guess it depends on ones personal philosophy of why they drink…. There’s a difference between drinking beer for the gastronomic experience vs. just drinking to get a buzz. Quality beer is wasted on the later. 😉

I’d prefer more flavor and less alcohol.

One website equated 12oz of 5% ABV to 1 drink; 1 unit of alcohol; 0.6 oz of ethanol.

The site contained a table reporting the Blood Alcohol Content [BAC] for number of drinks [units of alcohol] versus body weight. Four units of alcohol for a 210 pound body weight corresponded to 0.08% BAC, the legal driving limit in most states [4*12oz*0.05% ABV = 2.4 oz of ethanol]. There was a caveat about other factors, blah, blah, blah.

What I took from this investigation is for 5% ABV beer: 4*12oz or 3*16oz of beer puts the 210 pounder at, near, or over the limit.

Ergo, I need to be mindful of the beer’s ABV if I am driving.

I notice many ‘extreme’ beers [2X IPA, Imperial Porter/Stouts, NW Red Ale Strong Ale] have a ABV = 0.1*IBU and, thus, have ABV far in excess of 5%.

enough, jbx