Potential Reasons Florida May Suck

Last night I got a great email from Jack Box (aka jbx, jrbox) Jack is the father in law of Dino Venti and father of Leslie Venti, the owners of Venti’s in Salem Oregon. Many people here feal that the Venti’s are the best purveyors of craft beer in Salem. Jack has been self educating himself on great Northwest beer and contributes regularly to the Venti’s blog. He’s a great guy. Anyway, Jack sent me this and we got it tossed up on here. It’s funny until you realize Jack will be stuck in this black hole without great beers, especially the craft lagers he loves. If anyone has any suggestions for Jack on what to drink down there I’m sure he’d appreciate them.

This week we leave Oregon to winter in Southwest Florida in our modest condo in Englewood, Fla.

Since I am working on my MBA, Master of Beer Appreciation, I used map.google to search on |brewery| and |brew pub| in the Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myer, Naples, Florida region.

Bottom line:

There is a drought of ‘local / craft’ beer in Florida.

The nearest confirmed brewery is in Sarasota [26 miles]; the 2nd nearest, Ybor City [ 88 miles]; 3rd nearest, Dunedin [95 miles].

There are outposts of national brewpub chain sprinkled about the state.  A ‘Hops Grill and Brewery’ brewpub in Fort Myers, 60 miles distance, will likely become a way-point when we travel south on the I-95.

This dire situation spawned an attempt at comic relief, below:

You know your not in Beervana when
– the brewery’s signature beer is named ‘Gator Ale
– the brewery’s signature beer is named ‘Alligator Ale’
– it is never cool enough to produce clean lagers and/or to cold condition lager
– the brewery’s water source is Lake Okeechobee
– the bitterness value of the IPA is 45 IBUs
– the ‘I’ in IPA refers to Seminoles Indians not India in Southwest Asia
– ‘Old Ale’ refers to age not style
– brewpub reviews emphasize the ‘early bird special’
– the brewpub offers all 8 variant of Budweiser and 3 of the 12 variants of Michelob
– the gruit ale bitter agent is citrus juice and zest from the tree in the brewers back garden
– the brewpub offers ‘named’ blends / mixes of beers

Other indicators are welcome.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Potential Reasons Florida May Suck”

1. Jason says:

I know your pain. My parents winter in Sarasota. I wanted to let you know of a new “pub” that just opened in Sarasota. We stopped by over Thanksgiving. It is called “World of Beer” and it is just off 75 at University Park. Good selection of 30 or so taps. They had a brewer’s night while I was there with Brooklyn Brewery. Large bottle selection as well.

Also, next door is a large wine shop with a good selection of beer. Worth checking out if in the area.

2. Darren says:

You know your not in Beervana when:

The favorite drink is an ITA. (Ice Tea Ale)
    Sign in Brewpub: No Shirt, No Shoes, No Teeth, No Service
    The newest Brew is a Golden Years Ale
    When Michelob Ultra is too bitter for most patrons
    When they ask for a beer on the rocks

3. Dr Wort says:

It’s 20’F outside! Hell…. I’d just enjoy the weather in Florida right about now…. screw the beer!

4. Capital Taps says:

We’ll miss you, Jack – especially the monthly compendia of pours!

Now World of Beer sounds promising! Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse is a German-American mash-up I’ve wanted to try!

Jack. here. in Englewood. Fla. Using my Amazon Kindle to acess Basic internet . . . technology. ya gotta love it . . . high speed internet from this PM . . .
    o stop at grocer last night for a few vital; beer cooler included usual BMC and common international lagers and
    o Ybor Gold Amber beer [brewed by Atlantic coast – Florida Beer Co.]
    o Yuenglining Lager [a Penn. company with brewery in Tampa]
    Neither as satisfying as Salem’s Pale Horse – Blonde Ale.

Found another example of ‘you know . . .
    o beer brand named Alligator Drool

Further, was informed of SW Florida International Beer Festival next week. The term International probably tells the story.

Further dispatches from ‘God’s Waiting Room’, aka – Fla., later. jbx_out

@Jason, thanks for the input regarding “World of Beer” . It sound good. I had not found it in Google search. I will go there within a week ends.

@Darren, thanks for the additional ‘you know your not . . .
    I will add them to the list and give you credit

I have been to 3 different grocery stores and one liquor story, I am starting to sense a pattern. In the future, I post an entry on blog.ventiscafe.com regarding ‘Beer in Florida’ and keep adding to it.