Seven Brides In Bottles

I haven’t heard much blog talk about Seven Brides these days, and I’m wondering how often their beers see taps in the Portland area. That’s neither here nor there though. On my way to work today I swung by Roth’s and saw that Seven Brides finally has their main line up in bottles. Roth’s in North Salem had the LPA, Oatmeal Ellie, Lils Pills, Emily’s Ember, and Black Cat Porter. The bottles labels are simple with the same photo used for each bottle with a different color. This though seems to make the bottles more beautiful.

I know in the past I’ve had a love hate relationship with Seven Brides. My first experience involved Lil’s Pills out of a picnic setup at the Cherry City Music Fest. The beer I tried tasted horrible and I swore off Seven Brides forever I thought. Then, somewhere about May, I began training for a group home opening in Salem. The company opening it was located in Mt Angel, and during my trainings there I heard several people rave about Seven Brides beers. Thinking they deserved a second chance I swung by the brewery one day after work. Jeff was friendly and between him and their Ember he won me over as a fan. Over the year I’ve had a few interactions with Jeff DeSantis, and have grown fond of Lil’s Pills, Ellies Ember, and if I’m in the mood the Black Cat Porter. I have however found other beers they make no bueno

Anyway if you can’t find ’em on tap give a bottle a try.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Seven Brides In Bottles”

Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt and the overpriced program! The brides are not making anything that knock my socks off. In fact, they taste like simple standards of their bared names. Porter is a porter, Ember is an Amber… Nothing to write home about. It could be any average brewpub across the America. Might keep their locals happy to just have fresh beer, but they aren’t going to rock the beer world. I have rarely seen their beers in Portland. When they appear, they are not brought back. Just the facts.

2. Adam says:

I have really high hopes for the Seven Brides guys, beings that they brew in the town I grew up in but they still have a lot of work to do from what I can tell from drinking their beer. From what I can tell it seems like they are using a Belgian yeast strain in all of their beers, while this works in some of their beers it doesn’t work in them all. Sorry guys but I had the Oatmeal Stout last night and it wasn’t good at all, the pale ale I liked and I still have two more beers to try (the amber and the Pils) but as memory would serve me I recall the Pilsner not tasting anything like a Pilsner, it was good but tasted more like a Witbier. Seven Brides if you are reading this blog know that I support you whole heartedly but please try other commercial examples and work on reformulating some of your recipes. If you want some constructive criticism and maybe some help with recipe formulation let me know. Good luck and keep on brewing.

3. beermented says:

Maybe they should be making Belgian beers with that Belgian yeast? Uh, just a thought.

@Beermented

I never said Seven Brides was making stellar beer, nor that they were doing anything unusual. I did say however that I’ve grown fond of three of their standards, and I stand by this. Also, they have made a Belgian beer. Just last week I had their Belgian Pale on tap at f/stop. I’ll be honost and say I wasn’t the biggest fan of it, but Belgian pales have never really been my thing

@Adam

Your right, their Pils doesn’t taste like a Pils, but I still like it 🙂 Also their Oatmeal is far from their best beer. In fact I’d rank it fairly low on their list. I’d recomend their Black Cat over it any day. The guys at Seven Brides seem to be very open to talking about their beers, especially Jeff, Uf you head over to their brewery. Heck they’ll probably even pour you some samples just for taking the time to visit.

5. Adam says:

I may have come off a little harsh last night, I should have said that I really do like these guys and I do like many of the beers they make. Back in September Jeff even let me try one of their beers that hadn’t released yet, I believe it was Drunkel, which I must say was very good. Really the only thing I would change is either make all Belgian style beers or vary the yeast strain for the beer they are making. I’ve had the Ember before and I recall that being good as well. The only thing I’m concerned about is them competing in a bigger marketplace. Really they could tame the esters of their yeast strain if they had better equipment, right now they have no temperature control for most of their fermenters. I wish I could pop by and help them out but I’m all the way up here in Washington, brewing on the east side of the state.

@ Adam

Dude! If it’s wrong, it’s wrong…. Don’t apologize. I think Drunkel sucked ass… there I said it…. because to me, it did. ;-]

Call a Spade a Spade. ;-}

If no one tells them their product sucks, they’ll keep making it the same way…. and that will be the end.

7. Capital Taps says:

It’s tough, because you want to support them…but man, Oatmeal Ellie when I had it from bottle a couple of weeks ago was not good. I had a sixer of black butte porter, and then opened one of those as a control. Ellie’s not goodness was worrisome, and the comparison really made it clear. First off, it tasted reduced – had a burnt rubber and barnyard thing going. It also tasted a touch bretty, and I wondered if the yeast wasn’t under control and/or they had microbial issues. Anyway, it just didn’t taste clean. I wanted to wait and write something good. The commercial brewing ecosystem here isn’t big and diverse – and I want to boost it, not bust it. So, yeah, here’s to hopes that they can improve the product!

. . . we all want these guys to succeed. For many reasons.

As difficult as it is, particularly in written words, I believe constructive criticism is important.

Matt, a lad that sells pastured chicken eggs at the Salem Farmer’s market, has a sign that reads something to the effect . . .

If you like I product, tell your friends,
    if there a problem with the product, tell me.

9. adam says:

OK, fair enough maybe your all right it does have to be said. I want these guys to succeed but many of their beers aren’t ready for prime time. they’re having very large quality control issues. I’ve read some reviews that speculated that maybe the beer was not in good condition where it was sampled but I don’t see that often mentioned with other brewery’s products, I think maybe sometimes their beer never was in good condition. What I’ve noticed with many brewers, I do it also, is that brewers become very fond of their products and get quite hurt when they hear bad things about their beer, that being said if I’m making a bad beer ultimately I want to know. We had a batch of pale ale ferment funky on us a batch back and it ended up having a lot of diacetyl, people complained and we realized that we took our yeast out too many generations so we fixed the problem. Seven Brides really needs better equipment first and foremost and they also potentially need the advise of an experienced brewer, I know a lot of brewers started out as homebrewers, so did I, but ultimately pro brewing is different in some fundamental ways from homebrewing. Like I said I really want these guys to be successful but as it stands right now if they don’t make some important changes to their beer brewing processes and recipes they aren’t going to make it. When I move back to Salem in a couple of years I hope to open a brewery, it would be nice to have some other breweries around, here’s to hoping Seven Brides can work out their problems.

“Not for prime time” as Adam says…. Is not acceptable in the beer biz. You have to have your shit together and hit the ground running. The competition is steep. Would ya open a restaurant with crappy food and call it gourmet? Well, I’ve seen plenty of those in Portland….. never mind! ;-}

Will you be posting anything new in the near future??? ;-}

I plan on it when I get some time. Hopefully I can get some research done tonight. Otherwise I’ll just have to dump a post I’ve been debating on about poor BJCP judging

Yea, the good ol’ BJCP sometimes passes through some pretty mediocre judges. Sometimes it fits the, “You can be book smart, but not get the job done.” I’ve judged with quite few BJCP judges who can talk the talk, but can’t taste the taste. They’ll push through big gloppy “everything but the kitchen sink” beers, but an award winning well crafted Wit or Dortmunder won’t get a second look. It’s kind of sad.

Celebrity judges are another downfall of many judging events. For better community PR, there has been a tendency to use some “Moronic” media judges. They couldn’t judge the difference of a Pilsner and Pale ale. I used to get in trouble because I’d ask to not judge with the celebs of the day or having a Celebrity judge take a whiff on a big Roasty Stout and ask, “What’s the first thing you smell?” If they got it wrong, I’d tell them they need to judge American Lagers.